Zika virus disease is now a nationally notifiable condition. Any local health care provider with suspicion for Zika virus disease in a St. Mary’s County patient should immediately notify the St. Mary’s County Health Department. Clinicians must contact the St. Mary’s County Health Department at 301-475-4330 (business hours – office) or 301-475-8016 (after hours/weekend on-call) to discuss the need for testing and to arrange for testing. The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has specific guidance for laboratory specimen collection regarding Zika virus as noted in links below.
Information for Health Care Providers
CDC Zika Clinical Guidelines – www.cdc.gov/zika/hc-providers
- CDC – Interim Guidance: October 3, 2016
- CDC – Zika Clinical Evaluation and Disease
- CDC – Clinical Guidance for Healthcare Providers: Caring for Pregnant Women
- CDC – Clinical Guidance for Healthcare Providers: Caring for Infants and Children
Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) Zika guidance – http://phpa.dhmh.maryland.gov/pages/zika.aspx
- DHMH: Clinician Reporting of Birth Defects
- DHMH Zika Diagnostic Testing Algorithm: Pregnant Woman (with or without symptoms)
- DHMH Zika Diagnostic Testing Algorithm: Non-pregnant Symptomatic Person
Clinical Information for Zika Testing Approval
General Information about Zika Virus Disease
For general information about Zika virus, click here.