Healthy Eating and Active Living are essential in the prevention and control of chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and high blood pressure. These chronic diseases contribute to the leading causes of death nationally and here in St. Mary’s County. By focusing on healthy eating and maintaining a physically active lifestyle, residents can help prevent these chronic diseases (and many other conditions) as well as the complications associated with them. When communities focus on strategies to support healthy eating and active living for their residents, they improve population health and minimize the financial burden associated with chronic diseases.
Multiple community partners, including MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital, are implementing strategies that promote healthy eating and active living in our county. These strategies focus on promoting workplace wellness, healthy eating and exercise in school settings, creating a physical environment within a community that supports active living (“built environment”), and helping individuals make healthy eating and active living part of their lifestyles. Click here for more information on community-wide efforts to address healthy eating and active living in St. Mary’s County.
St. Mary’s County Alive! (A Lifestyle Intervention via Email)
The evidence-based Alive! program is available to St. Mary’s County residents at a steeply discounted rate. This initiative is an email-based program to help individuals improve their physical activity level and nutrition, resulting in healthy weight management and lower risk for chronic diseases. The program provides emailed guidance to people as they work to establish healthy habits. It has been demonstrated to be very effective through a variety of research trials, is supported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and recommended by the US Community Preventive Services Task Force as a Research-tested Intervention Program for promoting behavioral change.
To learn more and access the St. Mary’s County Alive! Intervention, go to St. Mary’s County Alive! for St. Mary’s County residents
Employers in St. Mary’s County also have the option of arranging group access to the Alive program for their employees by clicking here.
- Strategies to Combat Obesity – for individuals, families, and communities
- Healthiest Maryland Businesses (strategies for worksites to support employee wellness)
- Smart Growth America (strategies for communities to support physical activity)
- National Complete Streets Coalitions (helping communities build right-of-ways that support active transport)
- Coordinated School Health – how schools can promote healthy eating and active living
- National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education – includes information on how child care and early education settings can promote healthy eating and active living
- Exercise is Medicine – resources for health care providers and others promoting physical activity
- Southern Maryland Food Council
- Southern Maryland Food & Farm Interactive Map
- Tips, Tools, and Information on healthy eating, active living, and weight management
- Healthy St. Mary’s Partnership