The St. Mary’s County Health Department has health care providers in its Health Clinic to provide selected clinical services for the community, based on need. Appointments are encouraged and should be made by calling the Health Department clinic at 301-475-4330. The Department encourages individuals to first try to seek care from their established primary care physician.
Most clinical services are available for free, at a minimal cost based on a sliding scale, or billed to existing insurance coverage as appropriate. For more information, call 301-475-4330. Residents who are using the health department’s Health Clinic can make their visit faster by completing two forms and bringing these with them to their appointment: the Patient Sign-In Form and the HIPAA Confidentiality Form.
- Pregnancy testing
- Information on abstinence as a method of preventing unplanned pregnancies
- Contraception, including condoms, other forms of birth control, and emergency contraception such as Plan B
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, including for sexual partners
- HIV testing
- Testing and treatment for other types of infections, such as vaginal yeast infections
- Vaccines/immunizations for children/young adults (including vaccines for flu, cervical cancer, and others)
- Vaccines/immunizations for adults (including vaccines for flu, pertussis/whooping cough, tetanus, meningitis, hepatitis B, and pneumonia)
- Assistance with smoking cessation
- Screening for breast and cervical cancer (PAP smear)
- Health education and information
- Pre-Exposure Rabies vaccine, rabies booster vaccine, and rabies immunity testing (RFFIT) titer – see more about Rabies Prevention and Animal Bite Exposure
Reproductive Health Clinical Services
The St. Mary’s County Health Department’s Health Clinic assists both men and women in planning and preventing pregnancy and assisting families in having healthy babies. To achieve this mission, the clinic offers birth control options, complete gynecological exams and sexually transmitted infection screening, and provides wellness and pre-conception counseling. Limited services are provided to eligible women who are not in need of birth control but desire to have an annual examination.
Complete gynecological exams are available for adults and teens in preparation for birth control and maintenance of general good health.
Screening and/or treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) is provided free of charge to individuals under 21 years of age. STI screening and treatment is provided to adults 21 years and older on a sliding scale schedule. Exams for men include testicular exams and discussion of birth control methods.
The Health Clinic provides information, education, treatment, and counseling to help people make the right contraceptive choice for them. Our goal is to provide each individual the freedom of choice to plan pregnancy in a way that is compatible with their life style and to reduce the occurrence of unplanned pregnancies.
Birth Control Options
All birth control measures available prevent unplanned pregnancies within the limits of their effectiveness. The St. Mary’s County Health Department also offers services to test for pregnancy and support healthy pregnancies. The Department does NOT offer any pregnancy termination services. Prevention of unplanned pregnancies (birth control options) may include:
- Oral Contraception (Birth Control Pills)
- Intra-uterine Devices (IUD) to prevent unplanned pregnancy
- Natural Family Planning
- Emergency contraception
- Other methods by prescription
Insurance Plans Accepted
The health clinic accepts the following insurance plans:
- Medical Assistance
- Medical Assistance MCO’s
- Maryland Family Planning
- All major insurance with out of network coverage
Clients without insurance are charged according to a sliding scale fee. No one will be denied services for inability to pay.
Clinic Hours and Location
Clients are strongly encouraged to call ahead to make appointments. While walk-in clients will still be accepted, they risk not being seen that day if the clinic’s appointment schedule is full. Residents who are using the health department’s Health Clinic can make their visit faster by completing two forms and bringing these with them to their appointment: the Patient Sign-In Form and the HIPAA Confidentiality Form.
To learn more about the services provided at the Health Clinic or to schedule an appointment, please call 301-475-4330.
Tuesday – Thursday 8am – 3pm (appointments are encouraged)
Limited availability on Mondays and Fridays for immunizations and by appointment only.
The department is closed from noon – 1pm daily.